When I started this blog it was to document the Morris that I was going to build for my daughter sadly she now wants something more modern and the Morris Minor parts have been passed on to my brother who wants to make it into a king cab tray-back Ute. Thus I am going to make this blog the home of updates on my Morris Eight project instead. I will shortly re post from the progress reports form my Iain Seven Blog here.
Regular readers may recall me talking about my brother’s lovely old 28′ Dodge. Well I’m happy to be able to report that he has made some great progress on the car of late as the pictures below will testify:
These fenders have had the attention of an old school professional pannelbeater and now that they have been painted they look delightful
The same chap made the front valance piece from scratch when the original was beyond repair
Glossy is an under statement!
The seats have been recovered before and missing springs replaced with blocks of foam
the old cover removed from the frond squab
new springs are being sought
the front seat back uncovered
wood was used a great deal in early cars
the core of vintage seats is much the same as inner spring materesses
pretty good for a very old seat!
seat back cleaned up
there are two ways to make pleats this is one f them
Cut your Material into 100mm strips and sew them back together
There you have it and I hope to soon ride in this fine old automobile
I had hoped that I could re work the alternator bracket to make the engine mounts but it just did not work properly so I have had to make up this complicated set up instead
I originally planned to have an non boosted braking system but have thought better of the idea and now I am using the Barina booster with my Nissan master cylinder. On the cross member is the rocker arm that will be necessary to connect the pedal to the hydraulics
Boy its been a lot of work to get the floor-pan to fit on the chassis. Firstly the chassis is flat on top whereas the saloon floor dips down behind the front seats . It might have been easier to remake the whole thing from scratch but I want to use as much original metal as possible
The green section was once the roof of the Barina and if you look closely you will see the roofing screws that I have used temporarily to hold the sheet tight to the chassis rails
the front floor section patched with new steel
Ute and van bodies have an extra section that I have reproduced in steel tube here
I have not made much progress on our Morris but I have done a couple of little things for my brother’s 4WD Morris project first off I made him a new bonnet brace because the carby on his engine hits the cross brace on a standard Morris bonnet my solution was to make a new “u” shaped piece out of 40 x 20 RHS that roughly follows the shape of the inside of the bonnet and attaches at the same point as the original. the two bracing bars that pick up on the hinge bolts were retained, re-bent and then welded to the new brace.
It took me the most of a day to cut and shape this part using and old bonnet as a jig to ensure that it will fit
The other little job involved customising a RH glove-box lid so that it could take the extra instruments (tacho amp and fuel) along with the idiot lights.
firstly I took a standard lid and cut out the raised section in the middle replacing it with some flat sheet. which I carefully welded in from behind taking care to “dance around to minimise distortion Clamping the two pieces to some Aluminium helped prevent burn through as did turning the mig down to a lower setting .
dials installed and looking real good all it needs now is a smear of bog a quick rubdown and paint to make it look perfect. personally I would have mounted the Tacho just a shade higher though.
If there is one thing that I am certain of its that when it comes to custom cars the only limit in the imagination of builders and today I’m sharing with you a very cute project. essentially its a re-body of a Suzuki Sierra with a cab made from a Morris minor four door that has been cut down to a king cab ute.
To make everything from the Suzuki fit properly its builder has grafted in the firewall and floor from the Suzuki, thus the body attaches to the chassis just as it did when it left the factory and by using a fou door body the car has enough room for Aussie sized blokes. any way enjoy the pictures of what is a very classy looking steed.